Saturday, February 27, 2010

Reinvoking the Gaming Spirit

So lately I've just been hit by the major urge to game, even more! I've been playing Aion more lately (as I wait for the next round of beta tests on City of Heroes - more on that later), and actually enjoying it without feeling a grind or stressed over repetition. I canceled my subscription for Warhammer Online, as I wasn't playing it anymore and the people I rejoined to play along with weren't really available much anymore, so there went the play time. I still play City of Heroes, and one of the newest powersets to come out for playing is really exciting, a "Wanted" style version of wielding dual pistols. Complete with cheesy (and shiny!) effects. Now before I'm tagged as a hypocrite (because I hated Wanted, although that may have just been because of Angelina Jolie), let me state that the movie was put into a "realistic" setting, with all the physics-breaking nonsense gun-play. City of Heroes/Villains is intentionally supposed to be housing cheesy, unreal, laws-of-physics breaking, just-about-anything-goes type stuff. "Curve the bullet!" works in that setting, not in the movie's.

But just when you thought I had enough as I vest my free time into 2 separate MMO's (I'm neglecting Guild Wars, but it has no sub fee so whatever), I'm starting to debate over whether to get a Playstation 3, or an Xbox 360. I have friends voicing their opinions on both sides of the arguement. Blu-ray versus more co-op, stability vs. slightly better graphics, Cheaper to upgrade hard-drive vs. more co-op. Well.. it's just easier to highlight the pro's and con's of each here::

Playstation 3
  1. Blu-ray player
  2. It has Demon's Souls, Infamous, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, and the better version of Silent Hill: Homecoming
  3. Free network
  4. Internet ready right out of the box
  5. Easy and cheap to upgrade hard drive
  6. It has the better controllers
  7. I have friends also with a PS3
  8. It makes me want to try MSG4 and Siren: Blood Curse
Xbox 360
  1. High-def (but not Blu-ray, still top graphics though)
  2. Cheap network with more people on it (more co-op)
  3. It has Crackdown, un-bugged Bayonetta, Saints Row, Dead Rising, maybe Gears of War 2.
  4. I seem to have more friends who play on XBL than PS3
  5. More co-op.
It's 8 to 5, technically, but the extra co-op makes for a larger point in itself. Thus, I am stuck. The other games I'm interested in are available on either platform so they're not part of the equation. I could afford both but it would be a shame because I know in the end one system will get more play than the other, instead of being a 50/50 split.

It... It's a really tough decision. I might end up getting both the way it's looking. Hopefully if I do that, I'll be able to keep the usage near-even. Even amid the MMO playing on the computer. Wow I'll have a lot to play...

No comments:

Post a Comment